According to numerous news reports, the organization CAIR will be using a facility belonging to the Poway Unified School District (PUSD) to hold a private event featuring Rep. Rashida Tlaib. Both the speaker and the group putting on the event have a disturbing record of spreading antisemitism and other forms of bigotry. Sign our letter below, urging PUSD to strongly condemn this hate.
Dear Superintendent Kim Phelps,
As a member of the community that strongly supports free speech and opposes all forms of discrimination, I am deeply concerned about an upcoming event reportedly being held at a PUSD facility. The planned program is being hosted by an organization called CAIR, with Rep. Rashida Tlaib as the keynote speaker.
I understand that PUSD is required to make facilities available to the public in accordance with the First Amendment. However, I believe PUSD also has a responsibility to use its own free speech rights to condemn the hateful record of both CAIR and Rep. Tlaib:
- CAIR National has signed a statement denying the Armenian Genocide.
- CAIR-LA Executive Director Hussam Ayloush has called for Israel to be "terminated" and praised a Turkish sultan who was responsible for the murder of as many as 300,000 Armenians.
- CAIR has solicited donations from repressive regimes and dictators like Muammar Qaddafi.
- CAIR leaders have spread dehumanizing propaganda and slander against Israelis, comparing them to ISIS and Nazis.
- CAIR has historic ties to the terrorist organization Hamas. CAIR's executive director previously worked for a group that spread antisemitic, pro-Hamas propaganda in America.
- Rep. Tlaib has spread antisemitic imagery, worked with an antisemitic organization, and had numerous fundraising events for her campaign organized by an individual who spreads blatant antisemitism on social media.
As I'm sure you are aware, our community in Poway has faced more than enough hatred. In light of the clear evidence presented above, I urge you to condemn this event and make it unequivocally clear that antisemitism and other forms of bigotry have no place in PUSD.
Thank you for your time and consideration.